Webb City is a city in Jasper County, Missouri, United States. The population was 10,996 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Joplin, Missouri Metropolitan Statistical Area. Webb City also has a police department, a fire department, and animal control services. Webb City, (Webbville), was platted by John C. Webb in September,1875 and incorporated in December, 1876, with a population of 700. The city was located on a portion of Webb's 200 acre farm, which he entered in February, 1857. There, in 1873, Webb discovered lead while plowing. With the assistance of W.A. Daugherty, he sank the first pump-shaft in 1874. Webb then leased his land to Daugherty and G.P. Ashcraft. In 1876 the Center Creek Mining Company leased the land and began operations. Some 20 years later 700 mines were located within the limits of Webb City and adjacent Carterville and the district ranked first in the production of zinc ore (black jack). Webb aided the city in its material development. He gave land for a school and the first Methodist Episcopal Church, South. He built the Webb City Bank and the first hotel.