The story of Abliene had its beginning in the year of 1858 when Timothy F Hersey and his family chose a spot on the present of the city for their log cabin. It was names by Mrs. Hensey. In allowing it to fall open where it might. It happened to be the third chapter of Luke, in the first verse of which is the name of Abliene, meaning City of the Plains. The growth of the city was slow until the Kansas Pacific Railroad was built through Albiene in 1867. A livestock dealer in Illinois, Joseph G. McCoy, saw the opportunities presented by the railroad in providing a means of transporting Texas cattle to markets in the east. McCoy came to Abilene with the plan of making it a cattle shipping enter and built a stockyard and hotel for the purpose. The new enterprise prospered until 1872 when newer railroads put Newton, Wichita, and Ellsworth in favored positions as shipping points.