In 1848, pioneer Daniel Hunt moved from Pipgras, Cooper County, Missouri, to the area just south of Center Creek, presently about three miles southwest of Carl Junction. There, he opened a trading post on the mound. He bartered with the Native Americans for horses and pelts. Lead mining was carried out here before the war, but no large deposits were found until 1870, one of which led to the founding of the city of Joplin, Missouri. A second set of railroad spur lines was built to connect the boomtown to pre-established rail lines, and to the Kansas coal mines, which fueled the smelters for separating the metal from the ore. Several towns arose as way stations for the new spurs, including the creation of Carl Junction. In April of 1877, Miami County, Kansas merchant, Charles L. Skinner platted Carl Junction with 81 lots, seven streets and four alleys. Skinner chose the name Carl, after his original German first name, which he had changed when he immigrated to America. The town was situated to take advantage of the junction being created by E. R. Moffett and John B. Sergeants' proposed Joplin & Girard Railway where it crossed the Kansas City, Fort Scott & Gulf line nine miles northwest of Joplin.